Fish Tale Charters Ocean City NJ Charter Fishing Boat

Fish Tale Charters Ocean City NJ Charter Fishing Boat

We Catch The Fish Tales Are Made Of.

Fish Tale Charters Ocean City NJ Charter Fishing Boat. On February 15th I read an article on the Striped Bass benchmark stock assessment which has revealed that the Striped Bass are overfished and overfishing is and has been taking place. If we continue to take the Striped Bass at the same amounts as we have been doing the decline will continue. In the article it had a graph that showed the female spawning biomass representing the mature females in the Striped Bass population. On the graph it clearly shows that the numbers of mature females has been below the set threshold since 2013. The threshold is a value chosen by fisheries biologists as a lower limit, below which the fishery is deemed to be overfished. While the spawning stock biomass (SSB) has dropped below the threshold, it is still above the levels reached in the 1980’s when the (SSB) dropped considerably lower then the threshold. Back in the 1980’s there was a complete ban on catching Striped Bass. At that time during the ban you could not target or in any way fish for Striped Bass. The stock levels did come back.

We Catch The Fish Tales Are Made Of.

Fish Tale Charters Ocean City NJ Charter Fishing Boat. The data given in the article showed which sectors are catching and removing Striped Bass from the population. The commercial fishermen were responsible for 10% of the coastal catch. Recreational fishermen were responsible for the other 90%. The 90% which included 42% that were harvested kept by anglers and 48% that are estimated to have died after being caught and then released by recreational anglers. Scientists estimate that about 9% of Striped Bass caught and released by anglers do not survive. The article went on to put the percentages into numbers. The numbers went as follows: Recreational fishermen caught 41.2 million Striped Bass during the assessment time frame. Recreational fishermen kept 2.9 million and released 38.2 million. Of the 38.2 million released it was estimated that 3.4 million did not survive once released.

We Catch The Fish Tales Are Made Of.

Fish Tale Charters Ocean City NJ Charter Fishing Boat. This information is the preliminary stock assessment. The final assessment is coming. I don’t expect the final assessment will be any better. From what the articles are saying any change in regulations may not be implemented until the 2020 fishing season. We will see. It is clear to me and I have been witness to the decline of the numbers of the Striped Bass. We do need to make significant changes to our regulations. I have said for years that we should not be taking the big breading females. I believe we should not be aloud to keep any Striped Bass bigger than about 35 inches give or take a bit. The smaller fish are better eating anyway. Also when catching and releasing Striped Bass care needs to be given to the fish in how it is handled. Don’t let the Striped Bass flop around the deck of your boat. This can damage the fish. Also try to handle the fish as little as possible in your hands. Use a lip grip to secure the fish and remove the hook. If your taking a picture do it quickly and get the fish back in the water. Don’t just toss the fish in. Lean over the side of the boat with the Striped Bass in the water and move the fish forward and back to get water circulating through its gills. Usually the fish when its ready will swim out of your grasp. When using bait we should be using circle hooks. Circle hooks will reduce by a lot the chance to gut hook the Bass. Do not gaff a Striped Bass. Use a net. You can buy nets that are fish friendly that don’t rub off the slim or scales from the Striped Bass. I have 2 fish friendly nets on board my boat. They are rubber mesh nets rather than nylon which is more abrasive and do not have any knots in them like most conventional nets that can remove scales. That is just a few things to think about.

Fish Tale Charters Ocean City NJ Charter Fishing Boat. When more information is available I’ll let you know. Stay Tuned!

Capt. Craig
Phone 609-391-8230